Here are some tips to help you prepare for your Red Seal examination.
Before the examination:
- I read the preparation guide Get Ready for your Red Seal Exam.
- I contacted my provincial or territorial apprenticeship office.
- I registered to the examination.
- If I have special needs, I asked for possible accommodations.
- I checked that the examination is available in the official language of my choice.
- I checked what material is allowed and forbidden during the exam.
- I know the date and time of my examination writing.
- I paid my exam fees.
- I confirmed the time off with my employer for the examination.
- I confirmed the location of the examination site and where to park if required.
- I created my study plan.
- I have read the Occupational Standard for my trade.
- I used the Task Profile Chart to determine what I should study first.
- I checked the Task Matrix and Weightings Chart (RSOS) or the Blocks and Tasks Weighting Chart (NOA)
- I checked the pie chart or Exam Counselling Sheet.
- I know the terminology and math formulas (if applicable).
- I consulted the trade code book the examination is based on (if applicable).
- I asked for help from my colleagues, employer or instructors, if needed.
- I self-assessed my essential skills and checked for upgrading if needed.
- I practiced sample questions.
The day of the examination:
- I have my confirmation letter.
- I have my photo ID and all material required.
- I have dressed appropriately as the examination room may be too warm or too cold.
- I allowed extra time for any unexpected traffic, parking or transit delays.
- I arrive early prior to beginning the examination.
- I eat a light snack and use the washroom just before the examination.
- I turn my cell phone off and I leave it where required.
- I did not bring any prohibited items with me to the exam.
- I breathe deeply and I think positively.
- Date modified: