e-Blast: September 2017
The CCDA is proud to announce progress made on the Harmonization Initiative
Since the Forum of Labour Market Ministers (FLMM) announced its strategic plan to harmonize 30 Red Seal trades in most jurisdictions by 2020, with an effort to harmonize training for two-thirds of Red Seal apprentices by 2017, the CCDA has made great progress.
The CCDA is proud to announce that the goal of harmonizing training for two-thirds of Red Seal apprentices by 2017 was met. Strong momentum and collaboration with industry across the country has resulted in the implementation of nine trades in most jurisdictions in September 2016, as well as in the implementation of nine additional trades in most jurisdictions in September 2017.
Work is also well underway to harmonize the next set of five trades by September 2018.
The CCDA would like to commend the strong collaboration between industry, training stakeholders and apprenticeship authorities who make the harmonization of apprenticeship training possible.
The list of Red Seal trades harmonized, and those that are upcoming are listed below:
Phase 1 – Implemented in most jurisdictions in September 2016
- Metal Fabricator (Fitter)
- Ironworker (Generalist)
- Ironworker (Reinforcing)
- Ironworker (Structural/Ornamental)
- Mobile Crane Operator and Mobile Crane Operator (Hydraulic)*
- Tower Crane Operator
Phase 2 – Implemented in most jurisdictions in September 2017
- Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
- Truck and Transport Mechanic
- Agricultural Equipment Technician
- Construction Electrician
- Industrial Electrician
- Industrial Mechanic (Millwright)
- Automotive Service Technician
Phase 3 – Implementation planned for September 2018
- Sprinkler Fitter (formerly known as Sprinkler System Installer)
- Concrete Finisher
- Landscape Horticulturist
- Sheet Metal Worker
Phase 4 – Implementation planned for September 2019
- Rig Technician
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
- Insulator (Heat and Frost)
- Tool and Die Maker
Phase 5 – Implementation planned for September 2020
- Powerline Technician
- Motor Vehicle Body Repairer (Metal and Paint)
- Automotive Painter
* The CCDA approved industry’s request to support only one Red Seal Mobile Crane Operator trade which incorporates hydraulic telescopic, hydraulically driven lattice boom and friction driven lattice boom cranes.
Sign up to receive the Red Seal e-Blast
- Date modified: